Okay, so you are having a dental emergency. Not something you can plan for. Unlike your regular appointments where you call the clinic and they fit you in their busy schedule, this issue requires urgent attention. You need to be able to get into the clinic ASAP. Being able to find an emergency dentist near you is key in these situations, especially when the pain is unbearable.
Emergency dental care focuses on urgent situations where immediate scheduling is required. Same day, walk-in appointments are usually necessary. Some of the procedures performed on an emergency could include an extraction, infection control, or even emergency surgery! This begs the question: what exactly is a dental emergency? (note: if you are having a dental emergency in London, Ontario please contact Sbenati Dentistry immediately so that we can help: (519) 474-0220
- Losing a tooth. Depending on the severity of the issue, this can definitely be considered a dental emergency. If it is accompanies by bleeding, pain, inflammation and other severe symptoms then you are having a dental emergency!
- Severe pain. There are many different reasons that severe pain may occur in the mouth, and trust us you will know when it is a problem. If the pain is followed or preceded by bleeding in the oral cavity then please do not wait to contact a clinic offering emergency dental services.
- Infection. If you suspect there is an oral infection, you are having a dental emergency. Signs you have an oral infection include swelling, enflamed redness, or pain in your face/gums. If this infection grows into an abscess, it can sometimes become very serious!
There are more instances of a dental emergency, but they will most likely fall into the above categories. That is why it is important to be aware of what constitutes an emergency and how to see a dentist as soon as possible.
Another common question people wonder is…
Can I Just Go To The Hospital or ER?
Yes, you can- but they probably will not be able to help you!
That being said there are a few reasons you may want to visit the hospital, but these reasons are not common.
- The first is if the pain spreads. If you feel the pain spread from your mouth to your neck, head, jaw or anywhere else! This can be a sign of a more severe issue and you can definitely visit the hospital for this.
- Another reason is if the bleeding is so intense that it cannot be managed with medical bandages. The hospital will be able to help stop the bleeding but may not be able to solve the root issue.
Take note of the issues we mentioned earlier in the post and use the points as a guideline to knowing if you are experiencing a dental emergency.
Finding an Emergency Dental Clinic
Sbenati Dentistry is here for your emergency dental needs. Our page on Emergency Care is also a great spot to learn more about dental emergencies. We are located conveniently at 1195 Hyde Park Road, Unit 1 which is close to most major intersections. If we are not within your vicinity or have filled up our emergency appointments a quick google search for emergency dentist near me will provide you with options!
Contact us today and never worry about your oral health again!
Call us today or use our request an appointment form. Let us worry about your teeth- so you don’t have to.