What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge is a fixed prosthetic device that replaces missing teeth by bridging the gap between them. Bridges are typically made of porcelain fused to metal, but they can also be made of gold alloy or other materials.
What are the different types of dental bridges?
The four main types of dental bridges are:
- Traditional dental bridges: These bridges are the most common type and are supported by two crowns that are cemented to the teeth on either side of the missing tooth.
- Cantilever bridges: These bridges are similar to traditional bridges, but they are only supported by one crown. Cantilever bridges are often used to replace a single missing tooth.
- Maryland bridges: These bridges are made of a metal or porcelain framework that is bonded to the backs of the teeth on either side of the missing tooth. Maryland bridges are a good option for people who don’t want to have their adjacent teeth prepared for crowns.
- Implant-supported bridges: These bridges are supported by dental implants, which are surgically placed into the jawbone. Implant-supported bridges are the strongest and most durable type of bridge, but they are also the most expensive.
Which type of dental bridge is right for me?
The best type of dental bridge for you will depend on your individual needs and circumstances. Your dentist can help you choose the right type of bridge for your smile and can provide you with the care you need to achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.
How much does a dental bridge cost?
The cost of a dental bridge will vary depending on the type of bridge you choose, the materials used, and your dentist’s fees. In general, implant-supported bridges are the most expensive, followed by traditional and cantilever bridges. Maryland bridges are typically the least expensive type of bridge.
What is the procedure for getting a dental bridge?
The procedure for getting a dental bridge typically involves two appointments. During the first appointment, your dentist will prepare your teeth for the bridge and take impressions of your teeth. The second appointment is to place the bridge.
How long does a dental bridge last?
Dental bridges can last for many years, but they will eventually need to be replaced. The lifespan of a dental bridge will depend on the type of bridge you choose, the materials used, and how well you care for it.
How do I care for my dental bridge?
To care for your dental bridge, it is important to brush and floss your teeth twice a day and to see your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. It is also important to avoid chewing on hard foods, such as ice or candy, as this can damage your bridge.
What are the side effects of dental bridges?
Dental bridges are generally safe and well-tolerated. However, there are some potential side effects, including:
- Tooth sensitivity: Dental bridges can sometimes cause tooth sensitivity, especially in the first few days after they are placed.
- Gum irritation: Dental bridges can also cause gum irritation, especially if they are not properly cleaned.
- Chipping or cracking: Dental bridges can sometimes chip or crack, especially if they are made of porcelain.
What if I have more questions about dental bridges?
If you have any further questions about dental bridges, please don’t hesitate to ask your dentist. They can help you understand your options and make the best decision for your needs.
Contact us today at Sbenati Dentistry to schedule a consultation and let us help you with any of your dental needs. [https://calendly.com/sbenatidentistry/interview]
For more videos: