What are custom whitening trays?
Custom whitening trays are made from impressions of your teeth, so they fit perfectly and comfortably. This ensures that the whitening gel is evenly distributed over your teeth, and that it doesn’t leak out and irritate your gums.
How do custom whitening trays work?
Custom whitening trays work by using a bleaching gel to whiten your teeth. The bleaching gel contains peroxide, which breaks down the stains on your teeth.
What are the benefits of using custom whitening trays?
There are many benefits to using custom whitening trays, including:
- They are more effective than over-the-counter whitening products. Custom whitening trays are made to fit your teeth perfectly, so they can deliver the whitening gel more evenly and effectively.
- They are more comfortable to wear. Custom whitening trays are made from soft, flexible material, so they are more comfortable to wear than over-the-counter whitening strips or trays.
- They are less likely to cause gum irritation. Custom whitening trays are designed to fit your teeth snugly, so the whitening gel is less likely to leak out and irritate your gums.
- You can use them at home or in the office. Custom whitening trays are easy to use at home, but you can also use them in the office if you prefer.
- They are relatively affordable. Custom whitening trays are more expensive than over-the-counter whitening products, but they are still a relatively affordable option.
How often do I need to use custom whitening trays?
How often you need to use custom whitening trays will depend on the severity of your staining and the desired results. Most people see results after a few days or weeks of use. You can use the trays for as long as you need to maintain your desired level of whiteness.
What are the side effects of custom whitening trays?
The most common side effect of custom whitening trays is tooth sensitivity. This is usually temporary and goes away within a few days. Other less common side effects include gum irritation and mild discomfort.
How can I reduce the risk of side effects?
There are a few things you can do to reduce the risk of side effects from custom whitening trays:
- Start with a shorter wear time. If you are new to whitening, start by wearing the trays for 30 minutes per day and gradually increase the wear time to 60 minutes per day as tolerated.
- Use a lower concentration of whitening gel. If you experience sensitivity, use a lower concentration of whitening gel.
- Take breaks. If you experience severe sensitivity, take a break from whitening for a few days.
How can I maintain my whitening results?
Once you have achieved your desired level of whiteness, there are a few things you can do to maintain your results:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea, wine, and soda.
- Schedule regular dental hygiene appointments.
- If you smoke or chew tobacco, quit. Smoking and chewing tobacco can stain your teeth and reverse the effects of whitening.
Can I use custom whitening trays while pregnant or breastfeeding?
It is not recommended to use custom whitening trays while pregnant or breastfeeding. The peroxide in the whitening gel may be absorbed into the bloodstream and cross the placenta or breast milk.
Can I use custom whitening trays if I have sensitive teeth?
Yes, you can use custom whitening trays even if you have sensitive teeth. However, you may need to start with a lower concentration of whitening gel or wear the trays for a shorter period of time. You should also talk to your dentist before using custom whitening trays to make sure they are safe for you.
Can I use custom whitening trays if I have crowns or veneers?
Yes, you can use custom whitening trays even if you have crowns or veneers. However, the whitening gel will not whiten your crowns or veneers, so they may appear darker than your natural teeth after whitening.
How long do custom whitening trays last?
Custom whitening trays can last for several years with proper care. To keep your trays in good condition, rinse them with water after each use and store them in a cool, dry place.
If you have any other questions about custom whitening trays, be sure to talk to your dentist. They can help you determine if custom whitening trays are right for you and can give you specific instructions on how to use them.
Contact us today at Sbenati Dentistry to schedule a consultation and let us help you with any of your dental needs. [https://calendly.com/sbenatidentistry/interview]
For more videos: