What is a cantilever bridge?
A a cantilever bridge is a type of dental bridge that uses to replace a missing tooth. Furthermore, it is made up of two crowns that attach to the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, and a pontic (the false tooth) that suspends in between. In addition, cantilever bridges are a good option for people who have only one healthy tooth on either side of the missing tooth.
What are the benefits of cantilever bridges?
Cantilever bridges have a number of advantages, including the following:
- Conservative design: They are a more conservative option than other types of bridges, such as traditional bridges, which require the preparation of two healthy teeth.
- Space-saving: They are a good option for people who have limited space in their mouth.
- Easy placement and care: They are relatively easy to place and care for.
- Material versatility: They can be made from a variety of materials, including metal, ceramic, or a combination of both.
What are the risks of cantilever bridges?
Cantilever bridges offer a number of advantages, including the following:
- It has can span longer distances than other types of bridges, without the need for intermediate supports.
- They are relatively easy to construct, making them cost-effective for many bridge projects.
- It can be built in areas where other types of bridges are not feasible, such as deep gorges or rivers with strong currents.
Who is a candidate for a cantilever bridge?
To be a candidate for a cantilever bridge, you must have:
- At least one healthy tooth on either side of the missing tooth.
- Healthy gums and supporting bone structure.
- A good oral hygiene routine.
What is the procedure for getting a cantilever bridge?
Typically, the procedure for getting a cantilever bridge involves two or three appointments. At the first appointment, your dentist will prepare the teeth on either side of the missing tooth and take impressions of your teeth. The dentist will use the impressions to make the crowns and pontic for your bridge.
After the first appointment, your dentist will place the crowns on the prepared teeth and take another impression of your teeth to ensure that the pontic fits properly.
At the third appointment, your dentist will place the pontic on the crowns and make any necessary adjustments.
How long do cantilever bridges last?
Although cantilever bridges can last for many years, they may eventually need to be replaced. Several factors influence the lifespan of a cantilever bridge, including the quality of the bridge, the materials used to construct it, and the level of maintenance it receives.
How to care for a cantilever bridge
To care for a cantilever bridge, you should:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day.
- Use a mouthwash to help remove plaque and bacteria from your mouth.
- Avoid chewing on hard or sticky foods.
- See your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
If you are considering a cantilever bridge, be sure to talk to your dentist about the benefits, risks, and alternatives.
Sbenati Dentistry is a leading provider of dental services in London, Ontario, including cantilever bridges. Our team of experienced dentists will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your needs and budget. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. https://calendly.com/sbenatidentistry/interview
For more videos: